Saturday, December 15, 2007

Freezing



It has been snowing every day this week. And it's finally cold enough that the snow isn't melting away. Winter is definitely here.

I knew eastern Idaho would be cold--from what I had heard, much colder than northern Utah where I went to college. But having survived two Russian winters, in 1994 and 1996, I thought it should be no problem. Russian winters are cold, right? Well, I've been comparing temperatures for the last few weeks, and Moscow and St. Petersburg are both slightly warmer on average than where I am right now! The only Russian cities that are noticeably colder than here are in Siberia (Irkutsk, Ulan-Ude, and sometimes Vladivostok).

The good thing about living where I am now is that the buildings are always warm, and we have plenty of hot water on demand, unlike in Russia. The bad thing is that I have to drive in snow because there is no public transportation here, unlike Moscow and St. Petersburg.

So... for someone who grew up in California and the desert southwest and just spent the last 3 years living in the middle east, this is going to take some getting used to. B loves his new job, so we may be here for quite a while...

No comments: