Sunday, December 21, 2008

Scenes from an eclectic tree


Garland I made from shells collected in Florida during B's internship several years ago. (All the shells had holes in them, so it made sense to us to put them on a string.)


A peasant girl from Russia.


A painted egg from Russia.


A Russian bird of happiness.


A souvenir from our Rhode Island days.


We picked up a few ornaments in Mystic, CT, not far from our home in RI.


From a lovely friend in Abu Dhabi, UAE.


A camel from Sohar, Oman.


Found in Nizwa, Oman.


A bell from the Po Lin Monastery in Hong Kong.

Our Christmas tree is so eclectic it's kind of ugly (to me), BUT these ornaments are part of our history and bring back good memories, so we like it. Sometime I might post pictures of a few of our stranger ornaments, like the shrunken styrofoam cup that B decorated and sent to the bottom of the ocean while on a November-December research cruise...

5 comments:

Kristin said...

I love your eclectic tree. I feel the same about ours. It's not beautiful like from a magazine, but it is meaningful!

Amira said...

I kept meaning to do something like this with my ornaments, but it didn't happen this year. Maybe next year.

I think your tree would be beautiful with all those ornaments on it.

mj said...

I think these pictures are a little deceiving, because they are some of our nicest-looking ornaments. We have lots of others on our tree that aren't nearly so nice (except to us, for personal reasons). :)

mj said...

I'd love to see your ornaments, Amira--hopefully next year!

Kendra said...

What a cool collection of ornaments! It's fun to have ornaments that bring back memories.