Saturday, February 28, 2009

Backyard birding #2



It's great to have birds in our yard again! Spring is on the way--I'm so happy.



The robins have been eating the remaining rowan berries--I'm surprised we still have so many on the tree, and lots of berries are falling on the ground too.



This morning C and I saw some new birds eating berries--Cedar Waxwings!



We managed to get a few pictures through the window.



In January I had a different kind of backyard birding experience--I was looking out the window while on the phone, and saw a Merlin falcon swoop down and capture a robin. It landed on the snow in front of the window, robin in its talons. After a few seconds it flew off, carrying its prey with it. A few feathers were left behind, and that was it.


Merlin falcon photo from here

3 comments:

Kristin said...

Yay for Spring! We haven't sighted any robins here, yet. But we'll be keeping a watchful eye. :)

Lucy said...

Bird watching has always been something I would like to get involved with. Zion National Park has a bird counting day each year; maybe one of these days.

Scribbit said...

I love the red berries against the snow--so pretty!