Thursday, May 31, 2012

Mesoamerica field trip

Pacaya volcano, Guatemala

In April I had the opportunity to go on a geology field trip with B and some of his colleagues.  During their semester break, they planned a trip to Belize, Guatemala and southern Mexico.  Luckily for me, my mom was able to come up to Idaho and stay with our kids so I could go along with them.  It was a wonderful trip--we were able to see so much in such a relatively short time.  What I'd really love to do now is go back with my kids and stay a little longer in all the places we visited!

It's impossible for me to adequately describe our experiences in a single blog post, so I've been avoiding any attempt at doing so, but I still want to share some of the things we were able to see and do.  So for my friends and family who are interested, I plan to write a short post for each of the three countries we visited, highlighting a few things from each.  If that doesn't work, I promise to share more photos at least!

Basilica in Mexico City, Mexico

One thing this trip made me realize is how sad it is that I have not traveled in Central or South America before!  These beautiful countries are not very far from home, and I studied Spanish for two years in junior high.  (My Spanish is pretty basic, but certainly much better than my Arabic, and it was fun using it a little on our trip.)  Like I said, I'd love to go back to all these places, and there are dozens more places in Central and South America that appeal to me more than ever.  How I can visit them after we move to Hawaii, I'm not sure, but I think I need to find ways to make more international travel a reality for myself and my family.

1 comment:

Lucy said...

It does sound like a wonderful place to visit. Maybe Dad and I will get there someday. I am so glad you got to go on such a great adventure with your adventurous husband.